West Bank of Big Pine Island Lake

West Bank of Big Pine Island Lake
Cold February morning at Big Pine Island

Thursday, September 16, 2010

large format

If you've ever seen a picture of Ansel Adams taking a picture -- he used this large box with a wooden tripod. The whole thing looked like the guy was hiking through the desert with a microwave oven and accompanying stand on his shoulder. I've been interested in photography since I was about 12 years old, but I saw my first large-format camera this week. A crusty old guy was taking a picture of a local church with one. I'm not sure how you would even go about finding a developer, but it was so neat to see someone doing things the old fashioned way. I don't miss the anger that came when you got that little Kodak pouch and found you'd left the exposure compensation was off-set by three stops and a 24-exposure roll was ruined. I think he can keep the plates and long hours in the darkroom -- I'll keep my D50 and ability to delete my bad shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment