West Bank of Big Pine Island Lake

West Bank of Big Pine Island Lake
Cold February morning at Big Pine Island

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Beach

In the past month, I've lost my job, moved to another state, started job hunting, driven to SC for my grandmother-in-law's funeral, then continued on to the beach for a vacation. Yeah, I'm on a vacation while unemployed. I know what you are thinking, but it was planned and paid for before the job loss, and (with the Internet access here) I'm able to continue my job search. I explained up front that, a request for an interview, could mean I have to return to the Buckeye state early, but I didn't have anything scheduled when we left for the funeral. I've talked with my wife about vacations -- to her, they are an essential part of life -- something you plan for every year and MUST include a beach or cruise. I, on the other hand, had a total of two vacations that I recall from growing up. One to Kentucky... I saw Mammoth Cave and a lot of horse farms. The other was to California. I was very excited to go to the beach there and play in the ocean. Unfortunately, I only ever got to see the ocean from a parking lot. I and my sister went to Sea World, but we only stayed for about 10 minutes after our great aunt started popping nitroglycerin tablets soon after entering the front gate. We turned around and left.
So the word "vacation" to me does not have the same sunny associations that my wife feels. But I'm enjoying this. I sat on a clean, sandy beach with my wife and daughters. We dug in the sand, and buried them up to their necks. We played in the waves later went for ice cream. After putting them to bed, I got to go for a run on the beach at sunset and swim laps in an empty pool under trees draped with Spanish moss. It was a great day. Not one I'll remember a year from now. But, hopefully, one I'll be able to reproduce with my family next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment