West Bank of Big Pine Island Lake

West Bank of Big Pine Island Lake
Cold February morning at Big Pine Island

Friday, May 7, 2010

Unemployment

I know I'm not alone in being unemployed. The rate is hovering just below 10 percent according to an upstanding Internet-based news source. Lots of people are in my boat right now, but it is still painful. I started working part-time at 16. I was flipping burgers at a McDonalds along I-94 in Michigan. Since then, I've spent a total of about two weeks unemployed... Two weeks over 21years. As days go by, it gets harder to remain focused on the areas I have experience. My pessimistic side keeps suggesting that my degree, my experience, all my accomplishments -- just aren't that important.

3 comments:

  1. Pessimism is a feeling, yes? I was told that you can't beat feelings ... except maybe with drugs. :)

    You're going to do great! The fact you've only been unemployed for 2 weeks in 21 years? That's a good indication you've got a lot to offer!

    And you have God, who has a plan for your life, and is going to lead you to it. In the meanwhile, you can play with the girls while you wait. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or ... on the other hand ... Obama wants to take care of people who'd prefer not to work.

    It's an option ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not so sure I would put my faith in Obama.
    I have found that hard work and absolute tenaciousness pays off much better.
    One of the good points of not having a job is, it gives you 40 hours a week to look for one you will truly enjoy.

    ReplyDelete