West Bank of Big Pine Island Lake

West Bank of Big Pine Island Lake
Cold February morning at Big Pine Island

Sunday, May 2, 2010

The first day of the rest of my life

The last time I posted a blog was in June, 2009 immediately before leaving my wife and kids for a 10-day field exercise (that turned into a 12-day exercise).
I failed that final test and now -- 10 months later -- am paying for my mistakes at Ft. Knox, KY. I was given an honorable discharge from the Army, but not much else. I've got a host of friends I made at Officer Candidate School, BOLC II in Oklahoma and here at Knox. I learned a lot about leadership, team building, planning and many facets of logistical support. After 10 months, there is less sting in my failure to pass the Armor Officer's Course gauntlet, but I still feel a little misty when I see an M-1 tank on television or Army billboards. Shooting that main gun was a thrill, and commanding four tanks on the hunt is something I'll never forget.
Now, I've got to get back to civilian life; and look for a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment